Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

What Does Randall Know That I Don't?


What Does Randall Know That I Don’t?

I wrote this piece on April 26, 2017. 

My brother, Randall, just found out that he has cancer of the liver and according to his Doctor, it is the worst kind to have.  He has six to eight months to live. 

I just called him.  When I asked how he was doing, he paused and said, “I’m okay”, and then he said those words that encouraged my heart. 

“I’m ready to go.”

In the middle of my tears of sadness there are tears of joy at that comment.  I’m ready to go!

What a commentary on a life.

His life, like mine and yours, has not been a perfect life.  Oh no.  He’s been places and done things.  He has owned a business, had relationships, had a military career, and is one of the best pianist I’ve heard play (in his own unique style). 

To hear him say “I’m ready to go” was the most encouraging thing I could have heard today.  I was calling to encourage him.  He encouraged me. 

And now, for the next six to eight months, he is putting together his bucket list of places to visit and sights to see. 

When Randall says, “I’m ready to go” he means volumes.  He is at peace in his relationship with God.  He has made whatever confessions he needs to make, he is experiencing a peace from God that will continue to carry him through these last months on earth and when the time comes, he has the confidence that he will be swept into the healing embrace of his Heavenly Father.

What a grand confidence my brother has in his future. 

Soon his fingers will no longer strike piano chords.  His lovely baritone voice will no longer sing our family favorites.  His sweet spirit will be missed in our family circle.  And he will be home where he belongs … forever.  He will reunite with our Mom and Dad.  He will reunite with our brother – Tom.

And he will see the Redeemer of our souls – Jesus Christ.

He is going to go places and do things during his last months on earth.  And he is going to go places and do things and see sights in his new land called heaven.

What an adventure!


An epilogue:  Randall completed his earthly life on June 19, 2017.  Although he did not get to finish his bucket list, he now knows something we don’t.   What is it really like to be a resident of heaven?


Hope Encouragement Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment