Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

God as Abba - Papa God


God as Abba – Papa God

Of all the titles I’ve worn in my years of living, I love most what my grandchildren call me … Papa Michael.

Papa!  And it is used with love, affection and respect. 

We in America don’t use the term Abba in normal conversations.  You’ll find it in Israel, Palestine and those regions of the world however.  It is a term of endearment, as is Papa. 

And that is the God I present to you today.  Abba God.  Papa God. 

My mentor, though now dead – Brennan Manning, says that ‘Abba means in literal English: daddy, my own dear father.’

Child psychologists in America tell us that the average American baby begins to speak between the ages of 14-18 months, and the first word normally spoken is da – da, da, daddy.  A small Jewish child speaking Aramaic in first-century Palestine, at that same age, would begin to say ab – ab, ab, Abba. 
(Taken from The Furious Longing of God-Brennan Manning)

They are terms of endearment, terms of intimacy.

When Christ was teaching his disciples to pray, the first thing He taught them was to call God ‘our Father, who art in heaven.’

Christ knew intimacy with God and He knew the significance of that intimacy and how much God himself wanted that kind of intimacy with His children. 

He wanted to be known as Papa. Abba.

As our children and grandchildren will crawl upon our laps, we could care less if they stay still or if they play with a toy, look around the room, or reach for the computer, as Adia (granddaughter) used to do when I held her on my lap.  What mattered most is that this was a sacred moment.  Father and child, Papa and grandchild. 

God so wants closeness, communion, a relationship with us, and His lap is big enough for us, our toys, our interests, and our fidgeting ways. 

I’ve fallen asleep more times in prayer than I’ve stayed awake and prayed.  God hasn’t cut me off.  He still invites me back to that intimate moment.

My mind wanders often when I’m supposed to be praying.  And God’s love keeps on reaching out to me. 

I’ll never get it right, this intimacy thing, with God.  And I keep coming back to this … God knows me as I am and not as I should be.  And He loves me anyway.

I’m learning to struggle less with getting it ‘right’ and settling more into a comfortable relationship with the God who loves me with a furious love, a raging love that is constant, and never lets up.

You know that wind storm we had recently?  It finally let up, blew itself out and sunny days returned.

Had that been God’s love, it would still be blowing, raging, because He loves us that much.  He never gives up.

What a metaphor. 

Ah …

What a love!


Hope Encouragement Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment