Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Sunday, November 18, 2018

A Thanksgiving Moment


A Thanksgiving Moment

The hymn Great Is Thy Faithfulness is one of the great hymns.  I’ve sung it hundreds of times in countless settings, and it still moves me.  Even tonight, as I read some of these lyrics, I am pausing to give thanks as we move toward Thanksgiving Day. 

There is a part of the third verse that demands our attention for today.

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten-thousand beside.

And the refrain:

Great is Thy faithfulness, great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

The first part – “strength for today” is what I’m experiencing at the moment.  I’m still in recovery mode from my open-heart surgery last December.  I do not have strength for a week.  I have strength enough for one day, and then I restore and get ready for the next day.  And for that I am very thankful.

I read something this week that talked about grace being given for daily needs.  I can relate.  It’s like the manna from heaven that the children of Israel feasted on during their wandering years.  They received food for one day at a time.  If they gathered more than their daily need, the extra would spoil and smell.  Except on the night before Sabbath. 

That is grace.  Grace for the day, for the moment.  You and I will get grace for next Thursday on Thursday.  And for that I thank God.

And then the phrase –
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

The key word is “needed” or “need”.

Time and time again I have experienced God giving me what I need moment by moment. 

That brings a moment to pause and give thanks.

May your Thanksgiving be filled with ample thanks-giving along with all the great food and family and friend times.


P Michael Biggs
Hope Encouragement Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment