Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Ups and Downs of the Moment

The President is liked.
The President is hated.

News is fake.
News is real.

The stock market soars.
The stock market tumbles.

Russia is a friend.
Russia is a foe.

Isis is defeated.
Isis lives next door.


On any given day, from any news source, we hear it all.  What a roller-coaster ride.

Where is reliability?
Where is truth?
Where is constancy?

A line from the March issue of Christianity Today jumped out at me recently.  Krish Kandiah wrote this on page 55 – “Habakkuk knew that true worship was about living in the ups and downs of the present, knowing that God is in control whichever way things go.” 

That is quite a statement. 
Actually, it is a pronouncement!

"God is in control 
whichever way 
things go."

I think we’ve lost sight of that along the way in a lot of ways.  When I look at our life today in the 21st century, I have to cling to some foundational truths, otherwise I would give up and drown too, which seems to be the mindset of many. 

Here is what I see. 
The world is not going to hell-in-a-hand-basket because of a political party that is in power, or one that lost the election.

Isis may strut their stuff for a time, but this too shall end.

Prices may rise, inflation may be on a galloping horse, however, things can fall as quickly as they rise.  Remember 2007-2009 in America?

What I DO cling to are some fundamental Biblical truths as I understand them.

II Chronicles 7:14 speaks to us today:
God says … “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves, and pray, and seek my will, AND turn from their wrongful ways, then will I hear from Heaven. I will forgive their sin, and I will heal their land.”

That is a tall, impossible order.

I know.  But then we serve a God who majors in the impossible. 

Hebrews 13:8 reminds us: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today and forever.”

God’s/Christ’s nature never changes.  His techniques may change with the times, but His truths do not change.

My final point is one on which I have written a dozen times.  I still keep a firm grip on this one.

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Joshua 1:9 tells us that.

So, when the ups and downs come riding the winds, may we cling – CLING – to the solidness and consistency of the God we serve.


Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment