Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Does Jesus Still Love Me?

Many of us learned a children’s Sunday school song in our infancy and perhaps it still rumbles around in our memory.
  
Jesus love me this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to him belong
They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus Love me
Yes, Jesus Love me
Yes, Jesus Love me
The Bible tells me so


Have you ever wondered if that lyric is still true?  Does Jesus still love me?

Just for the record, yes, Jesus does still love you. 

The natural follow-up question is this:
  How do you know? 
    Why should he love me? 
      What am I to him? 

From my understanding of the Bible, here is what I know.

God Loves the World    

I can hear you cry out:  “But you don’t know what I've done.”

Consider this:

Though your sins be like scarlet …

But God showed his love for us …


Let me remind you of a couple of people in the Bible.

David was a young lad when God destined him for greatness.  He grew and became well liked by many people.  He became a king. 

And then he blew it.  He had an affair and to cover it up he had the woman’s husband put in harm’s way so he could have her all to himself.  Yet God redeemed him and forgave him.


And then there is the story of the woman who was caught in adultery.  Read this and see how Christ dealt with her.  You’re gonna love this one.

Once a great theologian named Karl Barth was asked to summarize his life’s work in theology in one sentence.  He responded, 

“Jesus loves me this I know, 
for the Bible tells me so."


This great love of God shown through Christ is constantly reaching out to us.  It is offered with love and grace to any who will receive it. 

Of course, none of us deserve it.  No one can do enough good and righteous acts to be counted worthy of this kind of grace and forgiveness. 

It is spread before us as on a banquet table and all we have to do is step up and partake.  Get a plate and fill it full of God’s mercy and grace and forgiveness.

You don’t even have to wash your hands first, or clean behind your ears. 

Receive the gift. 
          Receive the love.

And then … let the healer, the forgiving one tell you what to do next.  

Does Jesus still love me and you?

You bet.  The Bible tells me so, and His words are still reliable.

Please watch this

(From the Veggie Tales Series
Not just for kids)


My Prayer for All of Us

God:
The mere concept of your love is a mystery.  We so glibly say the “I love you” words, and in the Christian world we hear the phrase “God loves you”.

Is this really true?  Even in spite of what I do and where I go?
Did you really redeem a guy like David, and the woman who committed adultery?

I want to experience your love too. 

I think I need a huge dose of accepting your acceptance of me regardless of my past.

Here I am God.  I’m jumping into your love. 

Catch me.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment