Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Thursday, July 13, 2017

What Makes God Sad

If you gave me the pearl of great price and I never went near it, looked at it, wore it or talked about it, well, that would perhaps make you sad.

If you gave me a million dollars yet I continued to live in poverty, you would be sad.

And what makes God sad?

Someone once counted 365 times in the Bible where God invites us to come to Him.  That is enough for one per day. 

He is the inviting God, the pleading God, the calling God who continually says “Come to me.  Draw near to me.  Seek me.  Find me.  Ask me.”

Never in my reading of the scriptures have I read that God qualifies His invitation first.  I’ve never read this …

“Take a bath first.”
“Get a job first.”
“Make it right with your parents first.”
“Forgive your brother first.”

… “and then you may approach.” 


Even in the story of the prodigal son we see a fine example of Father God’s love and compassion on the son.

   “He looked for the son.”
   “He ran to the son.”
   “He welcomed the son.”
   “He forgave the son before the son even had
     a chance to utter his own confession.”

You see, “God’s sorrow lies in our refusal to
approach Him when we have sinned or failed Him.”  Brennan Manning said that in Abba’s Child.

God wants us, longs for us, looks for us, and calls to us at every turn in our lives; the good, the bad, the happy, the sad, the up times, the down times, in times of prosperity and times of poverty.

I like what Brennan says in another book … “I (we) have been seized by the power of a great affection.”
~Brennan Manning – The Ragamuffin Gospel


The glad heart of God welcomes us, receives us, redeems us, regardless of where we’ve wallowed, waded, wasted, and wandered.

God is jumping for joy, He dances over one lost child coming back home.

Now that is a dance I want to see!



Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment