Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, January 7, 2017

How Do I Earn God's Favor?

The super-achiever says … I want to be real good so I can earn a spot next to God.

He/She says: “If I can memorize enough of the right phrases, the secret code words, then my spot is assured in Heaven.”

He/She says: “You know, if I go this this prayer summit I will surely earn points with God.  You think?”

And the beat goes on.  The chase for favor with God is a never-ending one.  Those that enter this race for success and favor with God seek, they try, they spend, they give, they talk and persuade, they DO the acts.  They do so much of the stuff they think is worthy of a nod from God.

And God’s word simply says: 
“By grace are you saved through faith; it is not something you do yourself; it is a gift from God. 

Works don’t save you, for in works a person could boast.”
~Ephesians 2:8-9

That is such great news it seems impossible to believe.  And that is where we rub up against the gospel.  It is in the believing that God favors us.  He offers favor.  He offers redemption.  He OFFERS!  Our job is to believe and receive.

Ah, but we reject the offer and choose instead to bounce here and there trying to earn yet another merit badge to show God how sincere we really are.

I’ve known a few spiritual types who seem to never settle into their relationship with God.  They have a recurring feeling of never being good enough.  They are constantly in pursuit of something more that they can do to impress God and cause God to like them more.

And all along God is saying “I already love you.  Don’t you get it?  I love you as you are … not as you should be.”

And then there are those, most of us, who feel we can’t be worthy of God’s favor. 

The conversations run something like this:

~You don’t know what I’ve done or where I’ve been.
~You don’t know what I’ve said.
~You don’t know what I’m like in the secret places.

And God says once again …

“Come to me, all who work hard and are heavy hearted.  I will give you rest.  Take my ways upon your shoulders.”

God is already offering favor.
He is offering a place at His table of grace. 
No reservations required. 
          No entry fee requested.

He simply wants us to accept what is already available for free.

Brennan Manning says it so well –

“God loves us as we are 
… not as we should be.”

A final invitation to come to God.


  

Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment