Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, October 10, 2015

What Does God Look Like

Once upon a time there was a kindergarten teacher who wanted her class to have a moment of art.  She told them to draw anything they wanted, and while they worked quietly she walked around the room looking at each child’s artwork.

She stopped at one little girl’s desk and asked innocently, “What are you drawing?”

The girl replied, “I’m drawing God.”

The teacher paused, smiled and said, “But no one knows what God looks like.”

The little girl replied, “They will in a minute.”

And so we wonder, what does God look like. 

I’ve seen God a few times.

I saw him once toting a bag of groceries up the sidewalk of an elderly lady who couldn’t get out and fetch them for herself.

I saw him looking on as a husband and wife walked hand in hand down Sunset Street in the town where I live.

And I saw Him the other day when a lady stopped on the corner of Ravenna and 63rd and handed out a brown bag and a bottle of water to a homeless man begging for money.

God shows up in a thousand ways every day.  If we look for Him we just might catch a glimpse of Him walking our streets, patrolling our neighborhoods and taking a disguised hand in our world.

We can even seen glimpses of him in some significant places in the scriptures.  He appeared in the form of a cloud by day and a blazing fire at night when He led the Israelites through the wilderness for forty years

He appeared in the form of a bread-like substance called manna to feed that same group on their wandering march.

Moses was allowed to look at God’s back-side once.

He was with Jonah in the belly of a whale.
He appeared to young Samuel in the middle of the night.
And He showed His hand to a mother and her son by continuing to refill her oil supply and grain supply until the seasonal rains came and allowed the local crops to grow to full harvest.

I’ve seen God in an envelope filled with cash that was given at a critical moment of need.

I’ve seen Him when He delivered me from a serious auto accident one Valentine’s day in Texas.

And I’ve seen Him in a hundred sunsets, bounty on my table, and in daily food for daily need.

I am keenly aware of God in all the various forms He chooses to assume

I’ve seen Him as …
 My provider
  My healer
   My comforter
    My Redeemer
     An act of Grace
      The one who supplies all my needs

What does God look like?

He often looks like ordinary humanity performing sometimes extraordinary acts of kindness, grace and hope.

Above all … God looks like a man on a cross, with arms outstretched, offering you and me redemption, hope and love.

And God looks like this –
  





P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment