Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Do You Have It Together?

Is your life perfect?  Do you have it all together?  Well, let me tell you about my perfect life, perfect marriage, and what a model citizen I am. 

NOT!

I’m not perfect.  I don’t have it all together.  And you probably don’t either.

And God knows this about us.

We want to get it all together with God.  We even think that everybody in church has it together. 

When we pray, isn’t prayer for those who have it together?  I mean, don’t they thank God for how wonderful their life is, and for all the stuff they own, and the places they live, and the perfectness of their kids?  Don’t people pray that way, and don’t our lives suck when we can’t measure up to that ridiculous standard? 

For those who struggle with all of this imperfection stuff and lack of togetherness syndrome, we have something in common. And if you hang with me for a bit we will discover some words of hope on which to hang our collective hats and hearts and destinies. 

Anne Lamont wrote a book a few years ago and I want to borrow from her. 

“Prayer is taking a chance that against all odds and past history, we are loved and chosen, and do not have to get it together before we show up.  The opposite may be true.  We may not be able to get it together until after we show up in such miserable shape.”

WoW!  Double WoW!

“We may not be able to get it together until after we show up in such miserable shape.”

Have you been there – done that?  Can I have a show of hands?

Okay, I’ll put my hand down now. 

I can hear some of you saying, “But I can’t show up looking like this?  I’m dirty, I’m grimy, and I’ve been wallowing in places I wish I would have avoided.  Let me go clean up first.”

That is just the point, isn’t it? 


We show up anyway.  We pray anyway.

God accepts us anyway. 

I’m reminded of a story found in the Biblical book of James 2:1-26

A translation: “My friends, don’t show partiality when those different from you show up.  If a man comes in wearing a ring and gorgeous clothes followed by a beggar from the street wearing rags and smelling of the garbage pit, don’t invite the rich man to the right side of the table and shuffle the poor man off to a corner or a separate room.  Hasn’t God chosen those who are poor in this world to be rich in the faith and heirs of the kingdom?” 
~Based on James 2:1-26

In another spot we find this:
“The Spirit and Bride say, ‘Come.’  Listen for the invitation.  Any who are thirsty may come; let those who desire to take a drink of the water of life without price, they can come too.”
~Revelations 22:17

And in Luke 19:10 we find:  “God sent Christ to earth to seek and save those who are lost.”

It appears to me that God is inviting the likes of you and me to first come, quench your thirst, and then allow Him to do whatever transformation He chooses to do in our lives. 

We come first; then He helps us get it together.  I like that.

So, even though you and I may not have it all together, we can still show up at God’s door, knock and be received. 

Go ahead, ask to be let in. 

You’ll find the doors will swing open and you will receive a welcome beyond belief.

Thanks Be to God!



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment