Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Does God Like You?

What a probing question – does God like me?  Of course, God has to love us, for that is the theologically correct response, based on tons of credentialed studies and volumes of books written on the subject.  Everybody knows that God is supposed to love us.  

Don’t we?

Ah, perhaps so, but that begs the question – does God like me? 

It is the old concept of “Yeah, I love you but I don’t like you very much”.  This is usually said after we've pulled some really serious boner or caused some ruckus, and maybe, perhaps, after we've committee some awful crime, or even a sin. 

Love is such an easy word to toss about these days.  But then we “love” lots of things and people.
We love …
Ice cream
Peanuts
Justin Bieber
Morton’s Steak House
Diana Krall
Madonna
Dances with the Stars

Most of us do not personally know the individuals mentioned above, but we proclaim our “love” for them nevertheless. 

And then we come back to our premise – Does God like me

I can state with emphasis the answer to this is YES. God does like me and you.

As my favorite author says …

“God not only loves you,
but he likes you a whole lot.
Actually God is very, very fond of you.”
~Brennan Manning

Here is a word for you, from Thomas Merton, Anglo-American Catholic, writer, and Trapist Monk.

“A saint is not someone who is good
but one who experiences the goodness of God.”


Now, I am not someone who is consistently, 100% good, and I imagine you aren't either, however, I experience the goodness of God on a continual basis.  I revel in the fact that not only am I loved by God; God actually likes me.  He likes when I call on Him from time to time.  He enjoys my laughter, my sense of humor, the way my mind works, the friends I have, the way I love my wife.  In a word, God likes hanging with me. 

Good news alert!  God likes you too.  Have no fear of that.

My mentor, Brennan, says this:

“We should be astonished at the goodness of God; stunned that He should bother to call us by name.  Our mouths should be wide open at His love, bewildered that at this very moment we are standing on Holy Ground.”

Why?

Consider this.

Isaiah 43:1 tells us this, and it is God speaking.

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are mine.”

That is a pretty great message.  He likes us enough to use our name.  Your name is the most important possession you have, and for someone to use your name, speak it properly - well, that is quite a compliment.  It means, in a word – we are liked.

But wait, there’s more.

Isaiah 43 continues:

“If you pass through waters, I’ll be there.
When you walk in fire,
you will not be burned.
I am the Lord your God.”

It may just be me, but this surely sounds like someone who has my back.  It sounds like somebody likes me a whole lot.  What do you say?

Has self-perception derailed your confidence? 
Have you heard a few too many negatives about the way you conduct your life?

Are you insecure, inadequate, prone to mistakes, potbellied, near death, bordering on panic, depressed, or disillusioned?

Be encouraged.  Again, listen to Brennan’s words.

“Never confuse your perception
of yourself with the mystery
that you are really accepted.”

To restate our scripture:  “I have called you by name.  You are mine.”

That is an amazing and encouraging word of hope.

Let me close with this:

“Who am I” asked Thomas Merton.  “I am one loved by Christ.”

The great love of God in Christ is continually reaching out to each of us.  Reach up, or out, or in whatever direction suits you, grab onto the hand of God, and receive your full measure of His love.

He really does like you.

Really!
  
P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment