Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Is God an Ogre?

Allow me to let Anne Lamott set the stage for our thought this week. 

“The longer I live, the more my God concept allows me to see God in a kinder, gentler, more gracious God-way.  He’s not the ogre we were once taught as children.  He’s not ready to zap us at the first miss-step or the first foul word that comes from our lips.  He won’t put us in time-out.”

This has to be some of the best news I could share with you this week. 

“He’s not ready to zap us …”

Sometimes I meet people who feel exactly like that.  They fear God so much and have such a distorted view of Him.  Their constant thought is God is mad at me.”

Let me set the record straight.

Remember the story of the woman caught in adultery?  She was pardoned right on the spot.  His words were … “neither do I condemn you.  Go and sin no more.”

That’s not the response of an ogre.

And this very specific invitation:

“Come unto me all ye who labor with heavy burdens.  I will give you rest.”


Often we find little children to be  good judges of character.  Christ was often seen with kids tagging along.  His great words ...

“Let the little children come to me” are welcoming and cherished words. 

Most kids have an amazing sense of whom to trust.  No sign of an ogre here

So if God is not an ogre, then where do we pigeonhole him?

Check this out.

“For God so loved the world …”

“See what great love God has lavished on us.”

“But you O God are merciful 
and gracious, slow to anger …”


Do these passages sound like a God who is mad at you?

     Do you see an ogre-type God here?

Not at all.

I do see an inviting God
  A Loving God
    A Caring God
      A Compassionate God
        And a Merciful God

What a concept … God is full of mercy and grace and patience.  He loves us with a furious kind of love, and He likes us a whole lot too.

I can relate to a God like that.


Please Take 2 minutes 
and watch this important video.


  
A Prayer for all of Us
By Anne Lamott

Hi God
I am just a mess.
It is all hopeless.
What else is new?
I would be sick of me, if I were you,
But miraculously you are not.
I know I have no control over other people’s lives,
and I hate this. 
Yet I believe that if I accept this and surrender,
you will meet me wherever I am.
Wow.  Can this be true? 
If so, how is this afternoon – say two-ish?
Thank you in advance for your company and Blessings.
You have never once let me down.
Amen.


P Michael Biggs
Pastor Mike
Internet Church
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment