Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, October 24, 2015

God Is For Us

This is a strong word of hope and grace for all of us.  We live in an age when we seem battled on every hand.  We face obstacles, lack, discouragement and defeat. 

We are prone to wonder …
  Does God like me?
  Does God know my name?
  Has God lost my address?

The ultimate question that goes unanswered is this:

Is God for me?  Is He on my side?

Allow me to use the scriptures to help define this ponderable question.


This is one of the great verses of hope found in the New Testament.  I find tremendous encouragement simply from resting my eyes on this idea.  I want to want to believe this verse, and I am coming to believe it, for I have great faith and trust in the God I serve.

Now, it is important to note this.  This is a faith statement.  That means we don’t have a written document stating exactly how God will be for us, how He will walk with us in the middle of every adversity or circumstance.  We just have this amazing promise.

I ran across this insightful quote recently and it has been turning my spiritual understanding upside down.  It is from Richard Rohr, a Roman Catholic priest and prolific author/speaker.

“My scientist friends have come up with things like principles of uncertainty and dark holes.  They are willing to live inside imagined hypotheses and theories.  But many religious folks insist on answers that are always true.  We love closure, resolution, clarity, while thinking that we are people of faith.  How very strange that the word “faith” has come to mean it’s exact opposite.”

Hold onto that thought for a moment while we revisit our key verse.  “If God be for us who can be against us?”

In the final resolution of things we know and hopefully accept the idea that God is on our side and He is with us through all of life’s steps. 

He has never promised nor demonstrated that He will keep us from hardships.  He simply promises to be with us in the middle of our hardships.  FAITH!

We want ready answers, signs in the heavens, a phone call right at the eleventh hour that spells deliverance for our dilemma.  What God wants most from us is TRUST! 

He wants a trusting heart that says “Even in the middle of my misery, God I know you stand with me.  I know you will never leave me nor forsake me.” 

That is giant-size faith.  We don’t know the “HOW” or the “WHEN”.  All we know is God is on our side and in the end, we will conquer. 

Meanwhile, God is with us. 

I take great comfort in that verse tonight.

Thanks be to God.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment