Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Thursday, August 17, 2017

God Thinks You are Amazing

As a kid, I wasn’t very amazing.  I was an ordinary boy, wore torn jeans and dirty tennis shoes – black mostly.

My skills were average in baseball, I could sing a little, and I wore ordinary shirts – usually not the button-down-collar type that most of my friends wore.

I was ordinary.


Except one day in gym class.  We played basketball and I was Michael Jordon ... for a few minutes.  I couldn’t miss – layups, free-throws, ten-footers – I hit them all.  I was amazing … for thirty minutes.

And it never happened again. 

Amazing.

Are you amazing?  Are you a stellar human being? 

I suffered from low self-esteem most of my life.  I didn’t believe in ME! 

Amazing?  Who, me?  Not a chance.

And then there’s God.  God thought I was amazing.  And He thinks you are amazing too.

He looked down from wherever He looks down and saw this ordinary kid and found a way to tell me, “I think you are special.  I like you just as you are, not as you should be.”

And one fine day I believed.

And I still believe.

In Isaiah 43: 1b we find … “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you.  I have called you by name.  You are mine.”

Wow!  God knows my name.  
He claims me.  ME!

Psalm 139:14 tells me “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”  He didn’t use spare parts to make you and me.  He didn’t just throw us out to the world.  He thought about us as we were being formed in our mother’s womb.

Titus 3:7 reminds us that “Jesus … made us acceptable to God.”

If God were to write you and me a letter, it might sound something like this:

Dear Child:

I like my front-row seat as I watch your life.  I watch as you grow and learn.  I want you to know this … I think you are amazing. You are the one I love. 

Life has not been easy for you.  I know that.  To use an old phrase of your era – You don’t have the best of everything.  You are just making the best use of everything you have.  
That is amazing.  That is resilience.

If I had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.

If I had a wallet, your photo would be in it. 

I claim you as my child.  I think you are simply amazing.

Your God!


Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment