Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Will I Get What I Deserve

See that man over there, the one in the gray sweater, and one white tennis shoe?  He is on his last dime – his life is in shambles.  He reeks of stale tobacco and alcohol … and yet, he is a recipient of God’s grace.

Tonight, at 11:45 PM he will call out to God.  He will cry and beg, plead and confess.  Will God give him what he deserves?  Yes, He will … God will give him grace and mercy, peace and assurance, for that is what God does, and even though our desperate man does not deserve this kind of goodness, God nevertheless offers it in buckets.

“Amazing grace, how sweet the sound.”  Remember that phrase?  God listens for our call.  He listens for our cries, even in our desperate moments, and He jumps in.  Picture that … God jumps in to save and redeem, forgive and cleanse.

I love what Brennan Manning says about this scene I just painted.



None of us deserve God’s goodness.  The Bible reminds us that “all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory.”

And yet we receive. 

And yet we get what we don’t deserve but what God, in His mercy says we do indeed deserve.  We receive grace … abundant, overflowing, falling on us in bushel baskets full.

II Corinthians 12:9 says it this way: 
“And He said unto me, 
My grace is sufficient for you.”

I am moved when I read words such as this.  I’m no Billy Graham, or Apostle Paul, Peter, Mark or John. 

I’m me.  I live in Seattle.  I work a 40-hour a week job.  Sometimes I do life messy.  What does a guy like me deserve?

And then there is my friend Lou.  You should know about him.  He served time in prison.  He lives on $700 per month, and can’t hold down a job, has PTSD and reeks of tobacco.  What does a guy like that deserve?

And the answer is the same.  “And He said unto me, … My grace is sufficient for you.”

I left out a portion of this scripture.  And I think it is important.

“My strength is made 
perfect in weakness.”

Oh, don’t get me started on weakness.  You should see my laundry list of my weaknesses.  Let’s compare list, shall we?

And the message of God’s grace sings again …

“My grace is sufficient for you.”

And then He adds …

“Come, all who are worn out and carry heavy loads.  I will give you rest.”

This picture pretty much captures the consummating love of God.



What is left to say ... Thanks Be To God!


Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment