Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Word about Worry

If worry has ever plagued you, then I have a word for you about that.

Are you ready?  Here it is.

DON’T!

Don’t worry, that is.  And I get this from a pretty reliable source. 

Christ himself said it.  Read this.

Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is  its own trouble.
NKJV © 1982 Thomas Nelson, Inc.
Matthew 6:25-34

These verses hit me squarely between the eyes.  Perhaps you too.  I have a need.  God, in His timing meets that need. 

A day later, perhaps a week later, I face another crisis.  I am back in Fretville.  I am visiting Worry World.  Again I pray.  Again I seek God.  Again He delivers. 

Time and again God comes along and reminds me of who He is and what he is capable of doing. 

And so I trust again. 

This I do know – and I back it up with this scriptural text.

“Once I was young, now I am old.  Through all of my life I have never seen the God-fearing left behind nor in lack of daily needs.”
(Psalm 37:25 Paraphrase by PMB)

I can add a hearty “amen” to this verse.  Hard times have come, yet the steady hand of God has been in great evidence in my life.

A quick story:
Once, when my funds were desperately low, I had my back against the wall and didn't know from where the next sack of groceries would come.  I was selling insurance in Texas at the time. 

Every Friday my manager and I met to go over the previous week’s sales successes. We finally met at 4PM that day and I started into my normal litany of sales calls.

Jimmy stopped me and said, “Aw, we can do that another time.”

He put his hands behind his head, leaned back in his chair and said, “I don’t know quite how to handle something like this.”

He paused, and continued.  “Some friends of yours know that you have been having a tough time and they hope this will help.”  He then reached into his shirt pocket and took out a white envelope and handed it across the desk. 

Inside I found $3,000 in cash.  I was in tears.  I could not believe my eyes. 

Jimmy continued.  “This is a gift.  You do not have to pay it back.”

I was speechless. 
          I was amazed. 
                    I was grateful.

When you ask me if God can meet your needs, I heartily respond, “Absolutely!  He can indeed.”

Note in the scripture above that Christ makes reference to sparrows and flowers.  He asks an important question.

“If I can take care of those creations, don’t you think I can take care of you as well?”

And the answer comes – Yes I do believe … help my unbelief.

God is with you giving you peace in the middle of your storms.
God is able to meet your needs in amazing and even miraculous ways.

Allow your faith to be strengthened in the God who supplies all needs.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment