Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

When Is God Pleased with Me


When Is God Pleased with Me

“I like to read Robert Ludlum.  Is God pleased with me while I read those books?”

“I play the drums.  Can God like and appreciate my drumming?

“Does God like every word, blog and podcast I produce?”

“Maybe God likes me more when I read a Billy Graham book.  You think?  Now there’s a major player of whom God surely approved.”

“I used to play Rook?  If I called some friends over, would God still abide in my home?  Maybe He favors Scrabble more.”


Okay, enough with that. 

Let me quickly state the facts as I sense them. 

God Loves Me …
When I get a haircut
When I toss a Frisbee
When I hold Carolyn’s hand, or kiss her lips
When I spend time with Wilson, Cari’s dog

God Loves Me …
When getting the car washed
While driving home from work on the freeway
While eating dinner
While watching the latest movie at the downtown theatre

God Loves Me …
When I get upset about some political decision
When Facebook changes it algorithms
When my blood pressure is too high
When I don’t read my Bible
When I miss church

God Loves Me …
If I drink wine
If I look at a pretty girl
If I commit a month of sins
If I tell Him to ‘get lost’


God’s love is not dependent on how good we are.  It is governed by His goodness and grace that flows from His great heart.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

He never abandons us.  He never disappears in our moments of weakness, or sin, or failure, or disappointment.  If we make bad choices, He still is near and has His eye on us.

“I will never leave you nor forsake you) (Hebrews 13:5) pretty much sums up the constancy and consistency of God. 

This is, indeed, great good news!

Have you accepted His love yet?  Have you opened up to Him and invited God into your situation?

The conversation begins something like this:

“God.  It’s me.  I need help.  I need YOU. 
I don’t like some of the things I’ve done lately.  Can you help me with that?  I don’t like some of the choices I’ve made lately?  How do I change? 

“I guess I’m the prodigal in the story.  I wanna come home to you.  Will you receive me as the story says the son was received? 

“I am scared to death.  Afraid I’ve done too much bad, made too many wrong choices.  I’ve gone to too many wrong places.

“I’m just flat out afraid.  And, bottom line, I think I’m afraid to trust that this forgiveness thing is just too good to be true. 

“I’ll never be a saint.  I’ll never get life right.

“But I need help.

“Help me, God.”


Psalm 34:18 tells us this:
“The Lord is close
to the brokenhearted.
He saves those who
have a crushed spirit.”


Consider this today. 

You are talking to the God who loves you and knows what you have already done.  He still offers forgiveness.

He is the God of love and redemption.


Hope Encouragement Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment