Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Cracked Pot

Let me tell you a story based on a story from Brennan Manning’s book Ruthless Trust.

“Once upon a time there was a water bearer who had two large pots.  Each hung on opposite ends of a pole that he carried across his neck. 

“One of the pots was perfect. The other had a crack in it.

“The perfect pot always delivered a full measure of water to
the master’s table, while the cracked pot leaked and arrived with only half a measure.  Needless to say, the cracked pot was discouraged.  He was ashamed of his performance because of his cracks. 

“One day, the cracked pot spoke to the water-bearer.  “I am ashamed of myself.  I only deliver a portion of what you expect of me each trip to the well.  You see, I have a crack and I lose most of my water on the way back home.”

“The water-bearer smiled and replied, “My poor cracked pot.  As we walk home today I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path.”

“And sure enough, there were dozens and hundreds of beautiful, colorful flowers on his side, all along the path home.

“The water-bearer pointed out, “Did you notice that there were flowers only one your side of the path and not on the side of the perfect pot?  I know about your flaws.  Every day for two years, as we walk this path, you have been watering the seeds on your side and they have grown into beautiful flowers.  You have brightened the world simply by being exactly who you are, cracks, flaws and all.


Have you had some less than stellar days in your life?  Have you performed at less than your best?

Do you sometimes feel you have nothing but cracks and holes?


Maybe your life isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Remember what the pot discovered?

The pot’s weakness became its strength.


What?

Our weakness becomes our strength, if we let it. 

Brennan Manning offers this insight in Ruthless Trust

With all your cracks and fissures,
you are capable of greatness
in God’s kingdom.”

Do you see that God uses cracked pots, disabled people, broken human beings, disappointing individuals, and those with broken dreams and weak knees? 

Consider David 2 Samuel 11
Rehab, the Harlot Joshua 6:25

Just imagine this re-phrasing of Matthew 11:28?
“Come unto me, all you cracked pots, disheveled, smelly, unfocused, lost and dreamless ones.  I’ll take you.

And, oh yeah, you perfect ones, you can come too.  I’ll even find a place for you too.”


The actual wording goes something like this:

“Come to me all of you who may be weary, weighted down, disorganized, dislocated, displaced and disheveled.  I will take you and give you a resting place.” 



I love perfect people, and I’m not perfect.

I relate to cracked pots, for at times, more times than I sometimes want to admit, I am one too.

Please watch this


My Prayer for You

God:
In our moments of brokenness you come to us.  You reach for us and lift us up.  You willingly offer restoration, repair and mending if we allow it.

Thank you God.  Take the pieces of my heart.  I lift them up to you.  Make something beautiful of my cracks and broken places.

Your Cracked Pot


Pastor Mike
P Michael Biggs
Internet Church
Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement Inspiration



1 comment: