Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

You are More Important than any Label or Category


You are More Important 
than any Label or Category

Oh my, how we love to slap labels on things.  A perfectly organized work shop has jars of …
Wing nuts
Slotted screws
Phillips-head screws
Hand-saw here
Drill bits here

And on and on.  Everything has a place and everything is in its place.

We label things.

Unfortunately, we label people too.  Have you ever worn a label?  I have, and they are no fun.  Here are some I’m worn.
   “You’re an accident looking for a place to happen.”
   “You’re clumsy.”
   “You can’t do that.  You don’t know what you’re doing.”
   “You’re fat.”
   “You’re lazy.”

Well, enough. 

I hate labels. 

I’ve been reviewing Philip Yancey’s book What’s So Amazing about Grace.
I just read this: 

“For Jesus, the person
was more important
than any category or label.”

I love that!  That Christ should see me as someone of worth and value.  How about that!

Remember the woman caught in adultery?  The men who dragged her before Jesus had already labeled and condemned her. 

“Whore” they said. 
    “Prostitute” claimed another. 
         “Unfaithful” screamed another.


Christ said some other words, words that redeemed her.  “Neither do I condemn you.  Go and sin no more.”

Zacchaeus was another who bore labels.  He was a tax collector, and they were a despised lot.  They were known cheats, swindlers, and the low-life of society. 

Christ came along one day, and this wee man got a new label.  Christ invited him into fellowship and Zacchaeus confessed,

“Lord, I’ll give half of all I own to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody at any time, I will pay back four times the amount.”

Christ made a great response: “Today, salvation has come to this man’s house.” 

This thief and cheat was redeemed, forgiven and changed.  No more labels for that man.

King David, the apple of Gods eye, committed adultery.  And he was redeemed and forgiven. 

You see, no matter the label the world slaps on us, God sees us and calls us
“You are my child, my chosen one. 
I have redeemed you. 
I have called you by name.
You are Abba’s little girl/boy.”

In God’s sight, we are His child.  We are the one He loves. 

If we need a label, let it be …
Redeemed
Forgiven
Child of God
One who experiences the Grace of God.



Hope Encouragement Inspiration

1 comment: