Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Better Than We Imagined

If we run away, some say, “Good riddance.”
If we fail, lose everything, some say, “So what.  She didn’t have what it takes.  He was foolish.  Better to cut our losses.”

And God comes along and whispers, “I know your fear, your frustrations, your angst.  I will help you.  Run back to me and let’s try again.”

Or he says, “I know you tried and failed.  So, you lost it all in one big gamble.  You are not a fool.  You are my child, the one I love.  Come to me.”

What we see here is a God who is inviting us into fellowship with him, mistakes, missteps and all.  He pursues us when we run away.  He slides up next to us when we try and fail, when we lose it all. 

You see, God is better than we imagined.


David had an affair.  God gave him another chance.
Zacchaeus was a dishonest tax man.  God offered him fellowship and a chance to rebuild.
Peter denied even knowing Christ at a critical moment.  He was redeemed and became a great one.  His words are still read today. 

We, you and I, deserve judgement.  We deserve some kind of punishment.  We deserve separation from the Holy One. 

We get relief. 
We get grace and forgiveness. 
We get a welcome mat put out just for us.

That is better than we imagined.

The woman caught in adultery expected condemnation.  She received forgiveness and a fresh start.  That was better than she imagined.

Remember these words?

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Who would have thought.  That’s not what we expected.  We expected abandonment, time in the time-out corner, after what we’d done.

The prodigal son expected to be received as a hired hand.  That’s what he was prepared to ask for.  And he got way more than he imagined.  

He found grace.  He found acceptance and forgiveness. 

That is the message God has for us today.  He offers more than we ever imagined.

More love
  More grace
    More forgiveness
      More peace
        More hope
          More presence
            More stability

I have hope today.  The God I serve is more than I ever imagined.

Offering Words of
Hope Encouragement
Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment