Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Second Chances

Let me tell you a story, a fable if you will.

There once was a little boy born into a family to a mother, a father and an older brother. 

And his father loved him very much.

The boy grew.  He became taller and stronger and smarter.

And his father loved him very much.

The boy was an obedient son.  He was kind and good-natured.

And his father loved him very much.

One day, the boy, now a young man, went to his father and asked for some money so he could go and have a good time.  He wanted to see the world, party like there was no tomorrow, and skip this measly little two-bit town in which he lived.

And his father loved him very much.

So the father granted the boy his wishes.  He gave his son his fair share of the inheritance.  And the boy left home.

And his father loved him very much.

Time passed.  The boy spent all his money on wine, women and probably sang a few sad songs along the way.  He treated his new friends to parties and the wild life … until his money ran out.  And then they ran out on him.  He was all alone.

And his father loved him very much.

One day, the boy awakened to his senses and through the fogginess of his brain began thinking.  “My father’s servants eat better than I do.  Here I am eating what the pigs leave when I could be at home by my father’s side doing better than this.  I think I should go back home and beg my father to take me back.

And his father loved him very much.

And that is what he did.  He started the long trek back toward home.

Meanwhile, his father stood each day, as he had since his son left home, looking down the road hoping to catch a small glimpse of his son coming back home.

Because his father loved him very much.

And one fine day, as the father took his post just like he did every day, he saw a sliver of a figure headed up the road toward his home.  He noticed a familiar gait to the walk, and as the figure came closer, the father recognized his son, the very son who had abandoned the family all those months ago.  And the father ran to him. 

He embraced him.  He never ceased kissing him, even in his smelly state, and with the torn and dirty rags of clothing his son had on.

For his father loved him very much.

The father ordered the prime calf to be killed, and a banquet to be prepared, and the best of clothing to be brought for his son. 

For his father loved him very much.

You see, the father believed in giving his son a second chance. 

Now this story is a parable told by Jesus in   Luke 15:11-32 (Click Here)

   It is called the story of the prodigal son. 

The father represents God and His great love for His son.  The son represents us - you and me - for we are all prone to want to wander.  We want to go have a good time. We want what we want and we want our own way. 

And when we come to the end of ourselves and wish to return home to the God of love, we are offered a second change. 

Isn’t that amazing?  We are offered a second chance – a do-over.  The feast of a life-time is ordered, the best robe in the house is laid on our shoulders with new shoes on our feet, and we are welcomed and loved and accepted as if we had never left. 

We receive the great second chance of grace and love that Father God offers.

Will we receive it, or will we let our past get in the way?  God is in effect saying, “I forget your past.  I offer you forgiveness.  Come, my son/daughter.  Receive the grace at my table.  Eat until filled and savor my great love for you. 

I am the God of the second chance.

Here is what it says in the Bible.
Matt 11:28-29
“Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, I will give you rest. Take my ways upon you, learn from me, for I am meek and lowly in heart; You shall find rest for your soul.”

No matter how large your failure may be, the grace of God can cover your failure and give you a second chance.

Thanks be to God!



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment