Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, June 21, 2014

God Revealed

Sometimes God seems to play hide-and-seek and sometimes He shows up in bold ways.  Do you ever wonder how to spot God at work in your life?

Let me start with this paraphrase of a famous poem – Footprints in the Sand.  (Follow this link to read the entire poem - Footprints in the Sand (Poem) 

The story goes like this – a man is looking back over his life and sees his earthly path as a set of footprints in the sand.  Often there are two sets of footprints, and the deduction is that God is walking with him during those moments. 

When he comes to a section of the trail where there is only one set of footprints he questions God.  Did you abandon me?  Did you leave me alone to fend for myself?

And God answers – “No, my child.  Those were the hard places in life and those were the times when I carried you to a safer place.”

I think that is a sample of God being revealed in our lives. 

We are reminded in Deuteronomy 31:8:  “The Lord goes before you; He will be with you, he will not fail you nor forsake you.”

Sometimes God reveals himself in the form of a word of hope and encouragement from some obscure source.

Sometimes He uses TV, radio, newsprint, or an internet connection to spread His work of encouragement. 

On other occasions He uses circumstances and life situations to reveal Himself and to draw our attention away from self and onto Him and His grace and guidance 

A personal story:  My brother Tom passed away this morning.  We are saddened, we are distraught and we have questions, however, I see God revealed in the middle of this misery.  Prayers are being prayed for all of us, we are able to continue to place the next foot in front of the last step and keep living, and we have family and friends who surround us with love, emotional support and the healing touch from one human to another. 

God is being revealed in all of these ways.  That is what He does. 

God comes down and abides with us and yes, even carries us when the path is hard, or steep, or crooked, even through the valley of the death of a loved one.

Do I believe God exists?  Yes I do, for I sense His abiding presence in the middle of my loss. 

God is with us, very present, very real, giving us a steady step.

That is all we need for now.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


1 comment:

  1. Michael, I have no words, so I will just cry with you. If I was with you, I would just sit, silently.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete