Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, May 17, 2014

What Does God Look Like

Have you ever wondered what God looks like?  I imagine many of us have some mental image to go with that answer.  What about you?

I know from my work in ministry that many picture God as a fierce being.  He has a scowl on His face and He is just waiting for you to step out of line so He can zap you.

I know a lady in Texas who said to me one day, “I think God is mad at me.”

I asked the obvious question and she continued.

“One day I was cooking dinner and had a pot of boiling water on my stove.  My daughter, Jenny – age 4 – reached up and grabbed the handle and poured the water all over her head and arms.”

She hung her head and added, “God must be mad at me for that to happen.”

Some see God as an aloof sort, only interested in the really big players in this world.  These are the people who go to Africa or India and heal people and give out food and clean drinking water.  Otherwise, He pretty much leaves people like me alone.  "I’m a nobody," they think.

I've encountered some who think God ignores them until they say the exact words of contrition and confession, or He won’t look at them until they go and change their clothes, or better yet, change their lives before He will even look in their direction. 

Let me set the record straight.

God loves YOU.  Right now, where you stand or sit. 

His arms are open wide, ready to embrace you.  He will receive you when you call and He even wants you to crawl upon His big soft lap and have a cuddle session.  He wants to be intimate with you, hear your woes.  You can even show Him where it hurts, and just how mad you may be over a certain issue in life.

My friend Chuck reminded me recently that Christ is recorded as saying “come unto me” more times than He ever says “don’t.” 

My picture of God?

He is the inviting God.
The forgiving God.
The grace-filled God.  He is extending to you and me yet one more chance for redemption, forgiveness and relationship.

He is not to be avoided.  Oh no.  He is reaching for us, longing to become one with us. 

Remember the woman caught in adultery?  Christ simply said “Where are your accusers?”  None were left. 

And he continued, “Neither do I condemn you.  Go and sin no more.”  I like that picture a lot.

To Zacchaeus, a corrupt tax official, He said, “Come down, We've going to have tea and crumpets together.”  (Well, maybe flat bread)  In other words, “You may be looked down upon because of your corruptness, but I see great value in you.  Let’s sort this out and get you going down a better road.”

My image of God? 

A redeemer and friend.

Trust Him.  He really does LOVE you.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment