Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Tender Side

I want to talk with you today about the tender side of God.  We have heard enough sermons about God’s wrath – but what about his tender side?

Consider these scenarios:

I gambled away all my money.
               God still loves you.

I had more than one impure thought this week.
               God still loves you.

I committed adultery.
               God still loves you.

I cheated my employer.
               God still loves you.

I lied.
               God still loves you.

I stole a pair of gloves at the mall.
               God still loves you.

I spoke badly of my step-son today.
               God still loves you.

I juggled the books at work to make myself look good.
               God still loves you.

I saw a man drop a ten-dollar bill on the floor and I pocketed it myself.
               God still loves you.

I didn't sing all of the verses of all of the songs in church.
               God still loves you.

I told my neighbor I was sick when they asked me to help them out.
              God still loves you.


Can you see the tender side of God?  He is not sitting up there or over yonder with His arms crossed, shaking His head or wagging a finger in your face saying , “Bad boy.  Bad girl.”

Here are some words that may encourage you. 

“Let us come to God
with great confidence
so that we may find
mercy and grace
in our time of need.”
~Hebrews 4:16

And this one:
“If we confess our sins,
God will be faithful and
forgive our sins
and wash away
all the dirt and grime
that clings to us.”
~I John 1:9

Now that sounds like a tender God, a reconciling God, a merciful God, a grace-filled God, not the ogre God we read about.

Brennan Manning tells the great illustration of an old man walking along a country road, the warm winds of spring blowing gently upon his face and the sun shining overhead.  All of a sudden, he breaks out into spontaneous joy and laughter and does a little dance jig in the middle of the lane.

His grandson is walking with him, and asks, “Papa, why are you so happy?”

The grandfather responds, “Because my Abba is very fond of me.”

That is the image God wants us to hold onto.  That is how God wants us to see him.  He beckons to us.  He stretches out his arms ready to receive us with great affection.  He has a kiss for us and can hardly wait to plant it on our faces. 

I see all kinds of tenderness here. 
   Not anger. 
      Not rebuke. 
         Not rejection. 

Just love. 
Just tenderness.

      … and a whole heap of passionate love for you and for me.

Maybe the time has come for you to come home to the embrace of the God who loves you with tender, furious love.


Please watch this.


A Prayer for All of Us
God
How do you do it?  How can you continually love us, forgive us, and redeem us when you know our nature?  You know we’re probably going to be back in trouble and be wallowing in all the wrong places again, yet you forgive us again and again. 

What a tender-hearted God you must be.  You know us and you love us.

Thank you God for your tender side that I see time and again.
Thank you for your grace side that comes to me.
Thank you for your forgiving side and nurturing side.

It seems to me that I am receiving your amazing grace in greater measure than I deserve.  I thought surely I would have exhausted your supply long before now. 

You are the tender and strong God that I need.

Humbly, with great gratefulness I say “Thanks.”


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration

One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment