Thoughts on Persistence

Thoughts on Persistence
New Book available from Amazon - for Kindle and Softbound

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Identity

In a world that wants to constantly tweak us, make us better, more beautiful, slimmer, stronger, and more-more-more, where do we find ourselves? 

I have a few thoughts on this subject – stay tuned.

I found this poem from the 1950’s by a Rev. Borders, and have abridged it for our purposes today.


I Am Somebody

I may be poor
  I may be young
    I may be on welfare
      But I am somebody

I may be small
  I may make a mistake
    My clothes may be different
      But I am somebody


My face may be different
  My hair may be different
    I may be black, brown, or white
      I may speak a different language
        But I am somebody

I want to be respected, protected
                                                        Never rejected

I am God’s child
I am Somebody
Rev. William H. Borders,


The search for one’s identity is a worthy search.  We seek it in careers, in houses, in money, in bars, and in relationships.

But at the core of it all, who we are and what we feel about ourselves matters hugely.

Psychologists tell us that our self image is one of those critical ingredients toward becoming a whole and complete person.  And self-image comes largely from understanding who and what we are all about.

We would do ourselves a disservice if we stopped there and left out the God factor when it comes to establishing our identity.


Let me remind us of some thoughts God has toward us. 

"We are fearfully and wonderfully made."
These verses remind us that we are created by God, even in the womb.  He began mapping out our lives even then.  Talk about an identity with a destiny – that is evident here.


"I have called you by name; you are mine."
When we know someone well we call them by name.  We identify them with the name intimates know them by.  God calls each of us by name.  He knows our identity.  We’re not a nobody in God’s sight.


"I know the plans I have for you."
There is a plan in place with your name on it.  That means God has identified you as a person of worth and He has you in mind for a future with hope.  Talk about an identity – your identity has a future. 


We can readily see by these scriptures that we are thought about, planned for and wanted in God’s sight.  He knows us, He calls to us, He plans for us, and He wants us to be a part of his plan.  We are on God’s team, and He knows each of us by name.

Come to the one who knows you so well, loves you so much, welcomes you with open arms, and has already worked out a road-map for your life. 

Talk about an identity – your life is ordered – and it is all good.  God doesn't make mistakes and he doesn't lead us without equipping us.

What is your identity?

You are a child of God – not a slave, not a servant, and not a distant cousin.

You are SOMEBODY!

Perhaps it’s time to give God some words of thanks for who you are and what He has already placed inside you.

He’s listening.  Just use your own words.


Pastor Mike
P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment